In 1954 Catherine Doherty received a request from Bishop Jean-Louis Coudert of Whitehorse, Yukon to send a team of her staff to come and help him to serve the needs of his people here, in particular the Native people. At that time she sent three of her staff and Maryhouse was begun, the first field house of Madonna House in Combermere.
We are located in the heart of downtown Whitehorse, which has a population of approximately 23,000 people. There is a cathedral downtown and one other Catholic parish in the city, and many Catholic missions throughout the territory.
From the beginning, our work here has been to provide for the needs of the poor. For more than 40 years we offered emergency shelter to the poor and transients. Although shelters are no longer part of our ministry, we continue to provide some food, clothing, friendship, and hospitality to the many who come to our doors.
We also provide for the spiritual needs of the communitys by offering poustinia rooms and weekly Scripture classes. Maryhouse has been asked by Bishop Gary Gordon to be available to host pastoral days for the Diocese of Whitehorse. Most recently we have hosted the Adult Faith Formation weekends throughout the year.
We also help in the two local Catholic parishes, we visit the sick and shut-ins, and we live the ordinary, simple lifestyle of cooking, cleaning, chopping wood, and, most importantly, our daily life of prayer together and Mass, as we aim to preach the Gospel with our lives as we are asked in the Little Mandate.
To learn more, you can read articles about Maryhouse in Whitehorse.